MATH1111 Introduction to Calculus
MATH1111 is a Junior (or first-year) unit.
This unit of study is not open to students who have done HSC Mathematics, HSC Mathematics Extension 1 or HSC Mathematics Extension 2 (or equivalent).
- Credit point value: 6CP.
- Classes per week: Three lectures and two tutorials.
- Lecturer(s) in 2019: Brad Roberts and Pantea Pooladvand
- Email contact address:
Students: please check if your question can be answered by referring to the FAQ page before emailing us. If you decide to email us please include your name and SID.
Students have the right to appeal any academic decision made by the School or Faculty: see sydney.edu.au/students/academic-appeals.html.
You may also view the description of MATH1111 in the University's course search database.
Information sheet for MATH1111
All students should read the information sheet. The information includes (for example) details of the assessment procedure, including dates of assessment tasks.
Answers to frequently asked questions
Jiajin (Wendy) Chen, Molly Kyriakidis-Costello, and Robert Rayment have volunteered to be your class representatives.
They will meet shortly with the Head of School. We would like to know what you like about the unit and where things can be improved. If you have any issues you would like discussed, then please email your class representatives using the address MATH1111classreps@maths.usyd.edu.au, and let them know your views.
For enrolled students or other authorized people only, here is a link to the Canvas page for MATH1111.
Consultation timesThe lecturers will be available for consultation at the following times. You may attend any of these consultations.
|Pantea Pooladvand||Weeks 1-3||Wednesdays 11:00-12:00||Carslaw 535|
|Brad Roberts||Weeks 4-13||Wednesdays 11:00-12:00||Carslaw 535|
Pre-exam Consultations for MATH1111 and Exam Preparation
Pre-exam consultations will be announced soon.
Here is the front page and formulae sheet of the 2019 exam. The first half of the exam comprises 25 multiple choice questions and the second half involves 4 extended answer questions. It is advisable to bring a soft lead pencil and eraser to the exam to enter answers on the multiple choice answer sheet.
In the Multiple Choice Section there will be
- 12 questions that are variations of the Sample Test questions and Mid-semester Test questions on precalculus
- 1 question on even and odd functions
- 4 questions on limits
- 4 questions on differentiation
- 4 questions on integration.
Please note that the 2019 exam format is the same as in 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2014, but has changed from 2013 and earlier years. Here are some recent exams:
- 2017 extended answer questions and solutions.
- 2016 extended answer questions and solutions.
- 2015 extended answer questions and solutions.
- 2014 extended answer questions and solutions.
The multiple choice questions from the 2017, 2016, 2015 and 2014 exams will not be released.
The following exercises are recommended as preparation for the exam:
- The mid-semester test and the associated Sample Exercises.
- All exercises on both assignments.
- All exercises on the Mon/Tues Worksheets for each week from Week 2 to Week 12.
- All revision exercises for Week 13.
- Week 2 Thu/Fri Exercises: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10
- Week 3 Thu/Fri Exercises: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Week 4 Thu/Fri Exercises: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Week 5 Thu/Fri Exercises: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9
- Week 6 Thu/Fri Exercises: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10
- Week 7 Thu/Fri Exercises: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Week 8 Thu/Fri Exercises: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
- Week 9 Thu/Fri Exercises: all exercises
- Week 10 Thu/Fri Exercises: all exercises
- Week 11 Thu/Fri Exercises: all exercises
- Week 11 Thu/Fri Exercises: all exercises
- Week 12 Thu/Fri Exercises: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
MATH1111 students: please check that your marks for Assignment 1, Mid-Semester Test and Assignment 2 have been recorded correctly by pressing the "Check marks" button.
Please note that any corrections to Assignment 1 marks must be made by Friday, May 24.
Please note that any corrections to Mid-Semester Test marks must be made by Friday, May 24.
Please note that any corrections to Assignment 2 marks must be made by Friday, May 24.
The teaching material appearing on this web site is intended for the use of enrolled students of the University of Sydney, and (unless otherwise specified) the University of Sydney holds copyright. Any other person or institution wishing to use any of this material must contact the university to make appropriate arrangements.
Every student should have a copy of the Junior Mathematics and Statistics Handbook.
For general information on examinations, including the end of semester examination timetable, see the University's Examination Information web site.
The Faculty Handbook entry:
The description of MATH1111 in the central units of study database.
Show timetable / Hide timetable.