SMS scnews item created by Andrew Mathas at Wed 6 Apr 2011 1825
Expiry: 16 May 2011
Calendar1: 16 May 2011
Auth: email@example.com (assumed)
Alf van der Poorten Travelling Fellowship for recent PhDs in pure mathematics
From the AustMS secretary, Peter Stacey
The family of the late Professor Alf van der Poorten has funded a fellowship, established by the Society,
to assist young pure mathematicians in travelling in Australia and overseas, so that they can enrich their
mathematical research through contact with other mathematicians.
Applications for the 2011 Alf van der Poorten Travelling Fellowship are now sought and close on 16th May.
Full details of the application process, including the rules and application form, can be found on the Australian Mathematical Society web pages.
Rules for the Alf van der Poorten Travelling Fellowships
- The Alf van der Poorten Travelling Fellowship is offered annually to researchers who have obtained their PhD
in pure mathematics from an Australian university.
- To be eligible to apply, a candidate must have qualified for their PhD within two years of the closing date and
they must not have previously been awarded the Alf van der Poorten Fellowship. Applicants must have been
members of the Society for at least twelve months at the time of application. (Back dating of membership to the
previous year is not sufficient.)"
- One Fellowship will be awarded each year, unless no one of sufficient merit is found, in which case no Fellowship
shall be awarded.
- The Society will establish a selection committee to make recommendations to Council on the award of the fellowship.
- Applications for the Fellowship should include the completed application form, with a travel and research plan,
a budget (at most one page), a full CV and a letter from the awarding institution confirming when the applicant
qualified for the award of their PhD. Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 16 in the
year of the award.
- The applicant should arrange for two letters of support from an expert in their field to be sent directly to the committee
care of email@example.com.
- The selection committee will recommend the amount to be granted, to a maximum of $5,000, to a successful applicant,
taking account of the proposed research and travel activities, the need for support and the research track record of the
applicant relative to opportunity.
- The Selection Committee reserves the right to consult with appropriate assessors.
- In applying for a van der Poorten Fellowship applicants agree that if they are successful then their names, a citation and
photograph can be published on the web pages and journals of the Society.
- The fellowships will be awarded, in the first instance, every year from 2011 to 2030. The amount of the award may be
increased in consultation with the family of Alf van der Poorten.