SMS scnews item created by Andrew Mathas at Thu 5 Mar 2009 1042
Expiry: 31 Aug 2009
Calendar1: 31 Aug 2009
Summer School: Finite Simple Groups and Algebraic Groups
Berlin (Germany) August 31 - September 10
The aim of this summer school is to introduce into and bring
together the main parts of the current research in group theory such as
- The classification of finite simple groups
- Algebraic groups
- Representations of groups,
- Computer algebra
- Groups and geometries
- Combinatorial group theory
- Probabilistic group theory.
The Participants are supposed to be PhD - students and postdocs in the
areas related to the subject. There will be four long lectures a day and
one problem seminar. There will be an excursion on September 6.
The participants will have the possibility to present a poster.
As of now, the confirmed speakers are:
- M. Aschbacher : Subgroup structure of finite simple groups
- P. Diaconis : Applications of Group Representations
- G. Hiss : Representations of finite groups of Lie Type
- A. Ivanov : Monster group via the monster amalgam
- J. Jantzen : Representation of algebraic groups and their Lie algebras
- M. Kassabov : tba
- M. Liebeck : Conjugacy classes in algebraic groups
- A. Lubotzky : Asymtotic group theory
- R. Lyons : Structure of simple groups
- A. Makhnev : Symmetric graphs and their automorphisms
- J. Michel : Complex reflection groups, Delinge Lusztig varieties and
- B. Mühlherr : Groups with root data
- I. Suprunenko : The behaviour of unipotent elements in modular
representations of algebraic groups and connections with linear groups
- J. Thompson : The Divisor matrix, SL(2,Z), Dirichlet Space, and the
- R. Weiss : The classification of affine buildings
The summer school will be held at a lovely neighbourhood of Berlin in
Hotel Müggel; see www.hotel-mueggelsee-berlin.de
The cost in a double room for students will be 93.50 Euro per day
including all meals. There is a conference fee of 100 Euro. We are able
to cover the costs of accommodation and meals for about 40 students. We
will try to get at least partial support for further students.
Participants who like to get support should apply before April 15.
All other should apply before Mai 15.
Further information (for instance how to apply) will be found on
which will be available from Monday, March 9.
It is supported by the VW-Stiftung, the DFG and the Mathematical
Institute, FU Berlin.