MATH1003 Integral Calculus and Modelling
MATH1003 is a Junior (or first-year) unit forming part of the Mainstream Mathematics stream.
- Credit point value: 3CP.
- Classes per week: Two lectures and one tutorial.
- Lecturer(s) in 2016: Eduardo Altmann, Bob Crossman, Sheehan Olver, Sharon Stephen, Haotian Wu .
- Email contact address:
Students: please check if your question can be answered by referring to the FAQ page before emailing us. If you decide to email us please include your name and SID.
You may also view the description of MATH1003 in the University's course search database.
Information sheet for MATH1003
All students should read the information sheet. The information includes (for example) details of the assessment procedure, including dates of assessment tasks.
Answers to frequently asked questions
Find the important dates and assessment criteria among other things in the information sheet.
Complete the unit of study survey here .
- Oct 31 (Monday): 2PM-4PM, Carslaw 527, Bob Crossman
- Nov 1 (Tuesday): 11AM-1PM, Carslaw 525, Sharon Stephen
- Nov 2 (Wednesday): 10AM-12PM, Carslaw 527, Bob Crossman
- Nov 2 (Wednesday): 2PM-4PM, Carslaw 525, Sharon Stephen
- Nov 3 (Thursday): 10AM-12PM, Carslaw 615, Eduardo Altmann
- Nov 3 (Thursday): 3PM-5PM, Carslaw 534, Haotian Wu
- Nov 4 (Friday): 10AM-12PM, Carslaw 615, Eduardo Altmann
- Nov 4 (Friday): 3PM-5PM, Carslaw 534, Haotian Wu
- Pay attention to the time and location.
- Students are encouraged to make use of exam consultations.
The cover and formula sheet for Exam 2016 can be found here .
Past Exams and Selected Answers (Extended Answer Part)
- Exam 2007 with short answers .
- Exam 2008 with short answers .
- Exam 2009 with short answers .
- Exam 2010 with solutions .
- Exam 2011 with solutions .
- Exam 2012 with solutions .
- Some problems from past exams will be discussed in Week 13 lectures.
Allen Chan, Andrew Jun Chang, Shenin Faizah, Paras Gathani, Nan He, Hua Le, Nathan Morton, Mahek Rawal, Anantathep Sanitsom, Tina Truong and Isabelle Van Vuuren have volunteered to be your class representatives. They will meet shortly with the Head of School. We would like to know what you like about the unit and where things can be improved. If you have any issues you would like discussed, please email your representatives and let them know your views.
Lecture PlanPlease see Schedule with Chapter Numbers for a tentative week-by-week schedule for this semester. The chapter numbers are from the Course Notes.
Table of Standard IntegralsThis useful table will be given in the examination.
Weekly Consultations (no appointment required)
- Bob Crossman (Carslaw 527): Thursday 9:00-10:00am (Weeks 2-13).
- Sheehan Olver (Carslaw 624): Tuesday 3:00-4:00pm (Weeks 2-7).
- Eduardo Altmann (Carslaw 615): Tuesday 3:00-4:00pm (Weeks 8-13).
- Sharon Stephen (Carslaw 525): Thursday 2:00-3:00pm (Weeks 2-13).
- Haotian Wu (Carslaw 534): Wednesday 10:00-11:00am (Weeks 2-13).
MATH1003 students: please check that your marks for Assignment 1, Quiz 1 and Assignment 2 have been recorded correctly by pressing the "Check marks" button.
Please note that any corrections to Assignment 1 marks must be made by Friday, Sep 30.
Please note that any corrections to Quiz 1 marks must be made by Friday, Sep 30.
Please note that any corrections to Assignment 2 marks must be made by Friday, Oct 21.
The teaching material appearing on this web site is intended for the use of enrolled students of the University of Sydney, and (unless otherwise specified) the University of Sydney holds copyright. Any other person or institution wishing to use any of this material must contact the university to make appropriate arrangements.
Self-test web quizzes:
Test your understanding of the topics by trying the quizzes for MATH1003 regularly as the semester progresses.
Every student should have a copy of the Junior Mathematics and Statistics Handbook.
For general information on examinations, including the end of semester examination timetable, see the University's Examination Information web site.
The Faculty Handbook entry:
The description of MATH1003 in the central units of study database.
Show timetable / Hide timetable.