Bob Howlett's teaching page
- Rings and Fields (a 3rd year ordinary level course on modern algebra)
- Algebra 1 (an advanced level version of Rings and Fields, with an introduction to Galois Theory)
- Vector Spaces (2nd year advanced)
- Euclidean Reflection Groups (notes written for a 2nd year advanced course)
- Group Representation Theory (3rd year advanced)
- Introduction to Modern Algebra (2nd year normal)
All these things are in the form of portable document format (.pdf) files. To read or print them use Adobe's Acrobat Reader (which is free). To obtain it, click the icon below to go to the Acrobat Reader download page at Adobe's web site. Windows and Macintosh users can alternatively obtain Acrobat Reader from a local University of Sydney site (Macintosh, Windows), but this is not guaranteed to give you the latest version.
Please report any problems you have with this web site by email to R.Howlett@maths.usyd.edu.aupersonal timetable.
In Semester 1 of 2006 I am teaching MATH3962 "Rings, Fields and Galois Theory". Some information relating to courses I have taught in the past appears below.
Maths 2008: Introduction to Modern Algebra
Math3901: Metric Spaces
Math3009: Number Theory
Math3902: Algebra 1
Euclidean reflection groups