Registered File Types
How to modify list
- Start up Windows Explorer (e.g. double-click
My Computer), and select Tools >
Folder Options from the Menu.
- Select the File Types tab.
- Scroll down the list as needed.
- Click Delete or Remove to delete type. Or use
Advanced, select open and Edit and change the
command to open to something safe (but Windows will not allow you to
choose a non-existent program: use
regedit to do that).
- If you get a confirmation dialog, select Yes, or Apply then
NOTE that removing a type is hard to undo: you should use
regedit to change the commands used, or
rename the commands so they are not
accessible, whenever possible. (Do this in each case, unless otherwise
- Delete types:
CHM Compiled HTML file
JSE JScript Encoded Script File
REG Registration Entries type (use
regedit instead, but not
SHS Scrap object
SHB Shortcut into document
VBS VBScript (Visual Basic) Script File (probably not
there after you disable Windows Scripting Host)
VBE VBScript Encoded Script File
WSH Windows Script Host Settings File
WSF Windows Script File
- Delete all types that use Internet Explorer iexplore.
- Delete all types that use Outlook, Excel or
30 Oct 03