Travel and accomodation

Arrival InformationHotel AccommodationImmigration and Customs

Arrival Information

From the airport, a convenient and relatively inexpensive way to reach your hotel or the conference venue is by taxi (about $25–30).

By train is cheaper. You have to take the Airport line train (direction City/Central Station) and then change at Central for buses. Alternatively, you may take the Airport line train and then take the East Hills lne train to Redfern (direction Waterfall/Cronulla/Sutherland). The conference venue is about 15-20 minutes on foot from Redfern Station (there is no bus stand or taxi stand there).

For more information on public transport, see and the City Rail website

Here is a map of the campus of the University of Sydney (”Camperdown/Darlington Campuses” on the Overview Map).

Hotel Accommodation

Accommodation possibilities near campus include the following.
  • Unilodge Hotel Corner of Broadway and Bay Streets, NSW 2007, Telephone (02) 9338 5000 (D26 on the Campus Map) email:;
  • Oakford Apartments 23–33 Missenden Road, Camperdown NSW 2050, Telephone (02) 9557 6100. (Opposite Sancta Sophia College, F1 on the Campus Map) email: .
  • Rydges Camperdown 9 Missenden Road, Camperdown NSW 2050, Telephone (02) 9516 1522. (Opposite Sancta Sophia College, F1 on the Campus Map) (email: .
  • Sancta Sophia College is the cheapest possibility close to the campus. The current cost is $65 per night single room with shared bathroom facilities, complementary breakfast inclusive.

Early or Late Arrival

The reception hours of the above hotels are as follows: Rydges Camperdown Hotel: 24 hours; Unilodge Hotel: 6.30am–11pm; Oakford Apartments: (Mon–Fri: 7am–10pm, Sat–Sun: 8am–4pm). Keep this in mind when arranging your travel. If there is a problem, contact the hotel to make special arrangements.

Immigration and Customs

IMPORTANT: All travellers to Australia, other than Australian and possibly New Zealand citizens, are legally required to hold a valid visa to travel to Australia. You may need a short-stay business visa. Check the Department of Immigration Web site to obtain binding information on Visa requirements or contact your nearest Australian Embassy or Consulate. Instead of a visa you may be able to get an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). Visa or ETA must be obtained overseas before you arrive in Australia.

There are strict quarantine laws which prevent you from bringing some food and other items into Australia. Check the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service Web site for more precise information.

AMSI Logo University of Sydney Logo