Honorary Associate in the
School of Mathematics and Statistics at the
University of Sydney.
Dr Fernando Viera
School of Mathematics and Statistics F07
University of Sydney NSW 2006
Room 527 Carslaw Building
||+61 2 9351 2108
||+61 2 9351 4534
My research interests are in the area of Fluid Dynamics,
in particular nonlinear vortex dynamics in the context of geostrophic vortex flow in
density stratified fluids.
Recently, I have become interested in Hamiltonian systems applied to Geodesic Flow
in a manifold as a Liouville Integrable System.
Subjects taught recently
- MATH2061 Vector Calculus component (Standard)
- MATH2065 Introduction to PDEs (Standard - Summer School)
- MATH2965 Introduction to PDEs (Advanced)
- MATH1011 Applications of Calculus (Standard)
- MATH3078/3978 PDEs and Waves (Combined standard/advanced)
Scanned Lecture Notes - 11/AUG/2015
MATH2965 -- Scanned Lecture Notes
- F. Viera, A high order algorithm for ordinary boundary value problems,
Anziam Journal 48 (2008) c991-c1005.
- F. Viera, On approximate closed form solutions of linear ordinary differential equations, Anziam Journal
47 (2006) c245-c260.
- V.T. Buchwald and F. Viera, Linearized evaporation from a soil of finite depth above a water table, J. Aust. Math. Soc.
Ser B 39, No 4 (1998) 557-576.
- V.T. Buchwald and F. Viera, Linearized evaporation from a soil of finite depth near a wetted region, Quart. J. Mech. Appl. Math.
49, No 1 (1996) 49-64.
- F. Viera, On the alignment and axisymmetrization of a vertically tilted geostrophic vortex, J. Fluid Mech.
289 (1995) 29-50.
- F. Viera, The evolution of cylindrical geostrophic vortices, Proceedings, Computational Techniques and Applications: CTAC-93
World Scientific, Singapore (1994).
- F. Viera, Boundary Surface Dynamics: an algorithm for stratified geostrophic flows, J. Comput. Phys.
111 (1994) 336-346.
- F. Viera and R. Grimshaw, Topographic forcing of mesoscale phenomena: Filamentation, vortex formation and eddy detachment, J. Phys. Oceanogr.
24 (1994) 1433-1448.
- V.T. Buchwald and F. Viera, The diffraction of Coastal Trapped Waves by a strait, Geophys, Astrophys, Fluid Dyn.
72 (1993) 1-34.
- F. Viera, Scattering of long divergent shelf waves by a thin barrier parallel to the coast, J. Phys. Oceanogr.,
22 (1992) 944-950.
- J. Middleton and F. Viera, The forcing of low frequency motions within Bass Strait, J. Phys. Oceanogr.
21 (1991) 695-708.
- F. Viera and V.T. Buchwald, The generation of surface waves by an intense cyclone, J. Aust. Math. Soc.,
Ser B, 25 (1983) p64.
- F. Viera and V.T. Buchwald, The response of the East Australian continental shelf to a travelling pressure disturbance, Geophys, Astrophys, Fluid Dyn.
19 (1982) p249.