Intermediate Mathematics and Statistics
This site contains information on Second Year Units of Study offered by the School of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Sydney in 2020.
Enrolment advice, FAQs and Student Policies can be found on the School of Mathematics and Statistics Student Portal, on the Canvas website, or on the Enrolment Advice page on this server.
General enquiries about undergraduate mathematics and statistics study at the University of Sydney should be directed to the Mathematics and Statistics Student Office (Room 520 of the Carslaw Building). More specific enquiries about second year units should be directed to one of the following class coordinators:
- Zhou Zhou (applied maths) [Carslaw 607, phone 9351 5808, email firstname.lastname@example.org],
- Daniel Hauer (pure maths) [Carslaw 635, phone 9351 5763, email email@example.com],
- Garth Tarr (statistics) [Carslaw 828, phone 8627 8033, email firstname.lastname@example.org].
You can email your representatives and let them know your views about second year courses. Please include the unit code in the title of your email. (Note: Do NOT email these people with mathematics problems!) Your class representatives will be contacted by staff in Week 8 or 9 to discuss issues.
All students who enrol in an intermediate level mathematics or statistics unit should consult the Intermediate Course Handbook for important general information as well as specific information for their chosen units of study.
In particular, it is advisable to read the Progression to Senior Units section before finalizing your choice of intermediate level units.
- Be aware of what happens if you miss an exam, and what happens if your performance in an exam is impaired.
- Be aware of the rules and procedures concerning applications for special consideration and special arrangements for assessment.
- Be aware of the University's plagiarism policy.
Students may wish to compete in the Norbert Quirk Mathematical Essay Competition.
|Pure and Applied Mathematics|
|MATH2021||Vector Calculus and Differential Equations|
|MATH2022||Linear and Abstract Algebra|
|MATH2061||Linear Mathematics and Vector Calculus|
|MATH2069||Discrete Mathematics and Graph Theory|
|MATH2921||Vector Calculus and Differential Equations (advanced)|
|MATH2922||Linear Algebra and Abstract Algebra (advanced)|
|MATH2070||Optimization and Financial Mathematics|
|MATH2088||Number Theory and Cryptography|
|MATH2970||Optimization and Financial Mathematics (advanced)|
|MATH2988||Number Theory and Cryptography (advanced)|
|Statistics and Data Science|
|STAT2911||Probability and Statistical Models (Advanced)|
|DATA2002||Data Analytics: Learning from Data|
|DATA2902||Data Analytics: Learning from Data (Advanced)|