Open Learning Environment
What are OLEs?
OLEs are Open Learning Environment units. They are a range of units that can be smaller than normal units—either zero, two or six credit points—and offer foundational knowledge and skills.
The zero credit point units will be available online to all students at the University, while the for credit units will be available to all students in the Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, and Bachelor of Economics, as well as to students in some specialist degrees. Students enrolled in degrees under the new structure beginning 2018, such as the Bachelor of Science and some specialist degrees (Bachelor of Advanced Computing, Bachelor of Economics), are required to take 12 credit points of OLE units. They will include online modules that may be accompanied by master classes and workshops. You should check your degree requirements to see if this applies to you.
The topics covered in the OLE will be diverse, not necessarily within a student's primary area of study, but with broad applicability in settings that graduates are likely to encounter: Design Thinking, Data Analysis, Ethics, Leadership, Programming and Cultural Competency, for example.
OLEs in the School of Mathematics and Statistics
In 2020 the School of Mathematics and Statistics will offer the OLE units listed below. In each case two credit point and zero credit point versions are available: the OLEO versions are 0CP, the OLET versions are 2CP.
- OLEO1624/OLET1625: Reading and Writing Mathematics,
- OLEO1629/OLET1630: Symmetry,
- OLEO1631/OLET1632: Shark Bites and Other Data Stories.
- OLEO1665/OLET1666: Writing with LaTeX.
- OLEO2605/OLET2606: Origins of Mathematics.
- OLEO5601/OLET5602: Computational Analysis for omics Data.
- OLEO5605/OLET5606: Data Wrangling.
- OLEO5607/OLET5608: Linear Modelling.
Follow the above links for more information on these units.
How to enrol in an OLE
For more details on OLEs, including how to enrol, login to Canvas and click the OLE link.
Students can enrol in 0CP OLEs on the USYD OLE Canvas site and 2CP OLEs using Sydney Student.
- Feb Int: Friday xx and xx February.
- July Int: Friday xx and xx July.
- Feb Int: Thursday xx and xx February.
- July Int: Thursday xx and xx July.
- Feb Int: Monday 1 February: 10–12noon and 2–4pm (on Zoom); Wednesday 3 February: 10–12noon (Optional Drop-ins - Zoom or Campus); Monday 8 February: 10–12noon [presentations on Zoom or Campus].
- July Int: Monday 28 June: 10–12noon and 2–4pm; Monday 5 July: 10–12noon [presentations].
- OLET1666 (Feb + July Int): No in-person or synchronous sessions.
- July Int: Tuesday xx July, 9am–5pm (with breaks); Wednesday xx July: timed Canvas quiz between 9am–12pm.
- Nov Int: Tuesday xx Nov, 9am–5pm (with breaks); Wednesday xx Nov: timed Canvas quiz between 9am–12pm.
- OLET5602 (Aug Int) : No in-person or synchronous sessions.
- OLET5606 (July Int): Tuesday 29 June: 9–11am and 1–3pm; Tuesday 6 July 9–11am [presentations].
- OLET5608 (May Int): Thurs 20 May 2021 3-5pm and Thurs 27 May 2021 3-5pm